07.09.09

How can 'flat pack' be approached to produce an architecture similar to the experience of a conventional building? What is the best way to create a wall that looks like a typical house?

This has never been the intent of my design work so far. I do not want to re-design building elements and materials that could be used as studs, bottom and top plates, some beams and some plywood for cladding and pack them into a shipping container. This is not taking advantage of the potential of a flat pack scheme, where there is an opportunity to abandon traditional, conservative construction techniques and originate a building where the construction process is minimised (in terms of time) and joinery can be crafted specially for a one project, and that is only if there even needs to be assemblage. I think that many examples of flat pack architecture that I've looked at don't innovate enough.

However, I think there is some credence to the consideration about recognisable cultural elements* in the built environment. *By cultural elements, I mean things like materials that are synonymous with a culture and their building traditions, the purpose of specific buildings... There is no reason why cultural significance can't be retained in flat pack architecture.

The underlying purpose of everything that I have done so far has been to produce a site specific design that strongly adheres to the ideas of flat pack architecture develops it further, rather than to condense a conventional building into the confines of a shipping container.

[This post will be updated.]